Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Dress For Emma

After facebooking about my adventures in sewing, a friend of mine offered her daughter as a guinea pig, muahaha. Here is the result.

This dress was made using a cotton fabric I got from the thrift store. It is a reddish color with small white dots. The trim is a ribbon with a modern floral motif.
The pattern (also from the thrift store) is for a dress and short jacket. The jacket has puff sleeves, is fully lined, and has one button at the neck. The dress has a square neck, straps, a dirndl skirt with patch pockets, and a bow at the back. This is Simplicity 8029 from, I think, the 1990s.
I give my execution of the jacket an A- and of the dress a B- ; minus big points for the skirt being attached to the bodice crooked- you can see the pockets are uneven in the fence photos (after the jump). How did I miss that :( I am also subtracting points for choosing a ribbon trim instead of the recommended flat lace trim. The ribbon was much harder to sew into the seams.
I added a bow to the outfit (in hair); I intend to post these bow instructions (from a different pattern) because hello, cute.
I like this dress for a girl child as it is machine washable, not too short to play in, and appropriate for many occasions. The styling is classic and the dress could be worn with leggings and a long sleever in the cooler months. I would make this dress again. The only adjustment I can think of is to cut four of the bow straps, for double sided straps when using similar fabric (this fabric is printed on one side and lame on the other). I took a bit off the length but the dirndl skirt is made of rectangular pattern pieces anyway. I had to guess at the strap length due to my model being 500 miles away. The straps would be easy to lengthen if it wasn't for the damn ribbon. (They could still be lengthened another inch if necessary.)
So in sum: love the jacket, so glad Emma and her mom like the outfit, and I look forward to making more silly things ;)
See more pics after the jump.