Tuesday, November 1, 2011

My Janet Weiss Dress


My Janet Weiss costume posts are my most popular blog posts. All five posts are listed below.
  1. Janet Weiss Makeup & Hair
  2. Janet Weiss Accessories
  3. Janet Weiss Lingerie
  4. Janet Weiss's Pink Dress
  5. My Janet Weiss Dress (THIS POST)


Here is my homemade Janet Weiss Dress. I would not rate this an "A" but I think I did an alright job for a costume. I used a dress pattern I already had with the following modifications.
Changed the sleeve to be less puffy. This was a bad idea.
Added collar and cuffs.
Changed the skirt from straight to A-line.
Added a bib front with trim and buttons using the front bodice pattern piece cut down.
And of course made the belt using a metal thrift store buckle I painted white, and white cotton strap covered with the gingham fabric using the selvage method.
I also made the slip which I have not photographed yet. I already had the bag, shoes and cardigan.
For the hair I used hot rollers and x-ed bobby pins for the front.
All in all I spent about a month on this dress and I sure I hope I learned something about making dresses!