Saturday, June 15, 2013

Jammies

I made my dad some pajama pants. He likes to sail hence the themed fabric. Oddly, the only other thing I've made my dad was a pair of pajamas (top and bottom in a ramie stripe).
I did a little creative hand stitching on the tag. I think it's really important to add some kind of hang tag to homemade garments for a couple of reasons. For one, simple garments like pajama pants look pretty much the same from the front and the back. Having a tag lets you know which side is the back. Secondly, horizontal hang tags and to a lesser extent vertical tags like the one shown allow you to hang the garment from a hook when you hop in the shower and so forth. Finally, I think it's a finishing touch that lets you add a tiny bit of personality.
It's funny, but I started making these pants last year. (You can see in the picture I used a really short stitch length. This is what I would have done a year ago - these days I'm loving long stitch lengths.) The poor little pants have been sitting in a box 9/10ths finished because I was frustrated by not having enough fabric. They came out a few inches too short. I finally pulled them out and decided to do a narrow hem and just... not care that they were a touch too short. I mean, no one wants to trip over their jammies, and people are usually barefoot when in nightwear anyway. It's better to have stitched and sent off than to have never finished at all.

How about that print?

Thematic tag.

No comments:

Post a Comment