Sunday, September 18, 2011

Infant Pinafore Dress and Bloomers

Update: I am offering this outfit for sale, check it out: Broadway Handmade. It is $20 and Priority Shipping anywhere in the U.S. is $6 (free delivery in my hometown of Chico!).

I recently completed this infant pinafore dress and bloomers.


I found a black and white rayon (viscose) skirt at the local thrift store and had to have it. It's Italian and we all know that Italians are kings of both rayon and loud prints.


The trim takes this outfit up a notch, I think. It reduces wearability but dresses up the look from playdate to something where mum and dad are dressed fancily. As a pinafore dress you could team it with a white collared short sleeve onesie or polo and the bloomers, or something with sleeves and black tights when it is cooler. Pinafore dresses, or jumpers, are designed to be worn over a top, but being in such a great rayon I would also use it as a sundress (with just the bloomers).
This is a size newborn, so I think the reduced mobility you get from a dress is partially mitigated by the fact infants 1-3 months are barely mobile, especially in a dressed up setting (guessing?). But, being a "pretty" dress it gets brownie points for being machine washable. I doubt I will make any infant dresses longer or fuller than this one due to the decreased mobility
Overall I will say that I think this outfit is super cute and the print is amazing.